About this project
The historic 12.3-acre Horlicks site comprised of various commercial/industry factory buildings, 7 storey water tower plus the 1906 original Horlicks factory which is listed.
The Collard Group was successful in procuring the first phase of the Horlicks project due to our expertise in demolition, groundworks, remediation and material processing. The client was able to issue all early works packages to one contractor which enabled them to focus on phase 2 construction. Whilst the client worked on the new construction the Collard Group started the complex structural alterations of the original listed 1906 building.
Due to the good working relationship between the Collard Group and the client plus the success of the early works package we were issued additional work packages extending our time on site and the contract sum to excess of £1.35m.
All demolition concrete was processed to 6F2 by Collards and used for the pile mats. The demolition works varied from straight forward demolition of buildings to complex cut line demolition, the original 1906 factory was extended in 1936. The 1906 section is listed so had to be kept but the 1936 extension had to be demolished which was made harder as the iconic chimney was situated in the middle of the 2 sections which also had to be kept.
Collard demolished the water tower and all the surrounding factory buildings from the site but left the original main factory which will be altered into a café, cinema and gym. A new blocks of flats will be constructed where the old factories once stood.
- Soft strip demolition
- Asbestos removal, notifiable and non-notifiable
- Full structural demolition – single storey and multiple storey
- Partial demolition
- Structural alteration demolition, remove the roof from 1906 factory, create 4 floor atrium, multiple sectional openings.
- Crushing and certifying recycled materials on site.
- Pile mat construction – including obstruction removal.
- Temporary works, structural propping / ground water management / lifting / Handrails / air monitoring / dust monitoring / movement monitoring.